Sunday, May 27, 2012

It was a casserole type of night

I was searching for something quick to make one evening recently. There wasn't much fresh produce on hand, but I did have one large sweet potato and an onion, plus some ginger root. After checking my cupboards and verifying we had a can of garbanzo beans, I realized I could make this casserole, from Dreena Burton's cookbook Vive Le Vegan!

It was quick to put together (gotta love the recipes that say "mix everything together and cook it), smelled wonderful, and satisfied the whole family (savory enough for the mama, sweet enough for the daddy, beans for the three year old, and sweet potatoes for the nine month old). An absolute win.


Sweet Curry Chickpea Casserole
  • 2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 1 13.5-oz can light coconut milk*
  • 3/4 cup red onion [I used yellow]
  • 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped*
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups apple, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbls freshly grated ginger
  • 1 - 1 1/2 Tbls mild curry paste [I used curry powder]
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp allspice

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large, deep casserole dish, combine all ingredients. Stir through until well combined. Cover and bake for 30 mins. Stir through, cover, and bake for another 30-40 mins, until the vegetables are tender (stir through again once or twice throughout).
Makes 4-5 servings, depending upon accompaniments.

*I had neither coconut milk nor celery,  but I did have a can of cream-of-celery soup and substituted that with grand results. I would like to try the coconut milk version at some point, though. I love coconut curries.



No comments:

Post a Comment