Saturday, April 28, 2012

No Whey. Yes, Whey!

Plain yogurt is the bane of my existence. (Okay, not true. I live a privileged life--most food writers do--but not that privileged. However, for the purposes of this post, just go with it.)  Every other month I place a container of plain yogurt in my cart, convinced I will enjoy its wholesome taste the next breakfast.  Think of the parfaits! my heart sings. Upon returning home the supermarket trance breaks, and I remember I don't routinely stock granola or fresh berries (coffee with perhaps a slice of toast are generally all I can rustle first thing in the morning). The unsweetened dairy is slowly buried in the fridge behind ketchup and pickles.  I invariably rediscover the container weeks later and am faced with that most fearful of all challenges: make something amazing that very day from four cups of nearly expired plain yogurt or else toss it all out and prove myself unworthy of life itself. (Something like that.)

This most recent near-yogurtpocalypse I maintained my composure and rescued the entire container from ruin. I've already blogged about using a cup for a sauce;  I then separated the remaining yogurt into whey and cream cheese.

Whey and Cream Cheese
from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

  • 2 quarts piima milk, whole-milk buttermilk, yogurt, or raw milk
[...]When using yogurt (either homemade or good quality commercial plain yogurt): 

Line a large strainer set over a bowl with a clean dish towel. Pour in the yogurt... cover and let stand at room temperature for several hours or longer. The whey will run into the bowl and the milk solids will stay in the strainer. Tie up the towel with the milk solids inside, being careful not to squeeze. Tie this little sack to a wooden spoon placed across the top of a container so that more whey can drip out. When the bag stop dripped, the cheese is ready. Store whey in a mason jar and cream cheese in a covered glass container. Refrigerated, the cream cheese keeps for about 1 month and the whey for about 6 months.
Makes 5 cups whey and 2 cups cream cheese 

I had less yogurt to begin with and thus gleaned far less than the five and two cups noted in the recipe. Nevertheless the amount of cream cheese was perfect for at least one week's worth of breakfast toast, and the whey, since I am forgetful of its existence and unpracticed in its uses, is still in the fridge, ready for use.

Disaster averted. This time.


No comments:

Post a Comment