Monday, April 2, 2012

BBQ Sauce

My husband was grilling for the first time this year and felt inspired to make homemade barbecue sauce. He kindly let me whip it together so I could claim it for this blog. Hurray! Another sauce toward this year's goal (3rd of 24)!



From the Joy of Cooking:

Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbls dry mustard
  • 4 Tbls chili powder, or to taste
  • 1 Tbls grated, peeled fresh ginger, or 1 tsp ground
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbls vegetable oil
  • 3 sliced lemon

Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until the sauce comes to a simmer.  
Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lemon slices if desired.  
This sauce will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
Makes about 2 cups.

Our verdict:  It was much thinner than what you expect from a commercially-bottled sauce, but it was tasty. I don't know if I'd rush to make this exact recipe again;  I would probably try out a few different BBQ sauce versions from my other cookbooks, to compare to this one. But certainly it was fine. Had a zest to it. Easy to make. All-in-all to be considered a successful receipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment