Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Anda and Aloo Curry

I had a goal to find a new recipe that would (1) feed four adults and a child, (2) use inexpensive ingredients, and (3) not be pasta.  I specifically thought to look in my Indian cookbook because I'd remembered most of the recipes served 12 (hello leftovers!) and a lot of the dishes had rice bases (rice being something we can afford in abundance). As it was I decided on a recipe that was potato rather than rice based. Luckily my pocketbook is as much a fan of potatoes as of rice. Plus, it was delicious.

     Anda and Aloo Curry (Egg & Potato Curry)
        from The Spice Box by Manju Shivraj Singh

  • 4 Tbls oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 4 medium onions, grated
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 Tbls tomato puree)
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup yogurt (or 1 cup hot water)
  • 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
  • 6 boiled potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 tsp garam masala powder
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • fresh mint leaves, chopped, for garnish
     Heat oil in a wok or saucepan. Add cumin seeds and fry 1 minute. Add the onions and garlic and fry till golden. 
     Add 1/2 cup hot water, tomatoes, spices and salt. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. 
     Add 1 cup of yogurt or hot water, then the eggs and potatoes. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
     Turn off the heat. Add garam masala and lemon juice. Stir. Garnish with mint leaves.
     
     Serves:  12
***************

A few comments~
I grated the onions in the food processor (the ONLY way. My goodness. Cannot imagine grating them by hand!) and then dumped them into the wok. What I wish I'd done was drain the onion juice after grating. As it was, without draining it was extremely soupy and there was no golden action. I had to pour out the boiling hot onion water before the onions could have a chance to brown. Not safe. So don't be like me. Drain the onion juice after grating.

We enjoyed this dish the night I made it, but a great unexpected perk was that it made great leftovers. Served cold it's transformed from Anda & Aloo Curry to Curried Potato Salad. I think it'd be a tasty addition to a picnic (cook and eat 1/2 the recipe as a hot meal the night before, pack the remainder to share with friends the next day).

No comments:

Post a Comment