Monday, September 20, 2010

I Cooked Borscht!!!

That's right, I actually got myself into the kitchen and cooked something from one of my cookbooks! I think it was the scent of woodburning stoves permeating the neighborhood this morning; just seemed like a day when one should be in the kitchen, making something warm and nourishing.

I chose to make borscht, since we have a garden full of beets and onions and received even more beets and onion--not to mention tons of raw garlic--in our CSA this weekend.

What I like about this recipe is that it uses the entire beet--root with peel and leaves and stems--not just a peeled root. Waste not, want not!

From The New Laurel's Kitchen

Whole Beet Borscht

  • 1 small onion [I used two]
  • 1 clove garlic [I used three!]
  • 2 tsp oil [I used extra virgin olive oil]
  • 2 Tbls flour
  • 5 cups stock or water [I used some of the frozen stock we still have saved from this spring]
  • 1 bunch beets and their greens (3 large or 6 small) [I tossed in a few extra]
  • 1 potato
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1/2 small cabbage
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 Tbls tomato past or 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped [I used the fresh option, since I had them on hand]

Chop onion and saute with garlic clove in oil. Mash garlic clove when onion is translucent and browning. Stir in flour and cook gently for a minute. Add stock or water and bring to a boil.
Meantime, trim roots of beets, saving the good leaves and stems. Grate beets, potato, and carrot, or slice them thin. Slice celery thin. Add these and simmer 10 minutes while you shred the cabbage and chop the beet leaves and stems small. Add these and bay leaf, salt, pepper, honey and tomato to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until all vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
Makes 10 cups.

Mmmm. Nothing quite like beets. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. You've probably already figured-out which side of that fence my family and I are on...

No comments:

Post a Comment